A ‘giant sausage roll’ is the stuff of dreams for most family lunches! My boys (aged 12 & 14) just can’t get enough of it and it is also one of the most requested picnic items as well! Whenever I make these for any friends – and even people I don’t’ know – they are desperate to get the recipe – and guess what, it’s so simple!
I use ready rolled puff pastry, you can of course make your own, but I don’t want to actually see how much butter is involved! The sausage meat can come out of any sausages you have in the freezer or you can get this from the butcher. At Christmas all the supermarkets also sell sausage meat so you can always buy a few packs and pop them in the freezer.
The recipes below suggests red onion marmalade, I mostly use my own chorizo-jam but you can use any chutney you might already have open – just make sure it’s not too ‘wet’.
Enjoy the ‘joy’ of this – before it’s all eaten and have fun decorating the top with letters, stars, patterns or just simple sesame seeds!
HUGE SAUSAGE ROLL
1 x 320 g Ready Rolled Puff Pastry Sheet
1 small apple (approx 80g), peeled and grated
1 tbsp good quality red onion marmalade/chorizo jam
8 good quality lean sausages (approx 500g), slit and skins removed
2 tbsp Fresh parsley, chopped
Salt and Pepper
1 free-range egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the sausage meat with the apple and red onion marmalade/chorizo jam and parsley, season and mix well.
- Unroll the pastry and cut a strip from one end and put on oneside. Place large piece on a lightly greased baking tray and put the sausage mixture down the middle of the long side. Brush egg on the remaining pastry and then pull up each side. I crimp the edge with a knife.
- With the spare pastry, cut letters, shapes, patterns and brush with egg and stick over the join. Using a sharp knife put little cuts along top edge, to help release steam whilst cooking. The brush remaining egg over the pastry.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 40 minutes, reducing the temperature to 150C/300F/Gas 2 after 20 minutes. Allow to stand for 5 minutes before serving.
For more ideas & recipes – come & join me at my regular cooking demos. Informal groups of 8 people, around my kitchen table, tasting & chatting. A 2 course lunch is included along with welcome coffee & homemade cake, recipes to take home and lots of inspiration!
What People are Saying
".... my bouquet was so beautiful and looked that you had picked every flower from your own garden. My bridesmaids loved their posies and the button holes were perfect and you could really smell the sage - as you said we would! Thank you for all your fantastic help. "
Claire, a country-style summer wedding
".... thank you so much for being in my kitchen last night and giving us such a fantastic dinner. You really allowed me to spend time with my guests and enjoy the night before my son’s wedding. All the family were so relaxed and we all particularly loved your puddings! "
Louise & John,
a pre-wedding supper
".... a quick note to say thank you for an excellent meal on Tuesday – delicious food, efficiently delivered and enjoyed by all of us. It was lovely to enjoy good food at home, rather than in a noisy pub or restaurant – and we couldn’t have danced to 1960s Italian pop songs outside the house either!”
Nicky, family dinner party
".... OMG the birthday cake you made for me was amazing. My friends and colleagues ate it all! The raspberry and passion fruit filling was delicious and the little petals and flower heads were so pretty. Please can I order 2 more for when my family come to stay next weekend?."
Jo, a decadent birthday cake