Green and gorgeous
After rain comes that wonderful feeling of freshness – everything in the garden looks brighter, greener and more gorgeous. Rain restores the vitality of life around me – and as long as it doesn’t rain for days and days – I enjoy a break from sunshine and a chance to reset, indoors (and perhaps do a bit of cleaning/filing – things I would rather avoid) before being outside again! And there is always that wonderful smell – can’t quite find words to describe it – wet, crisp, clean… I remember one of my favourite childhood books was about Mrs Apple and her pekinese who played in her Apple orchard…. And she talked about the smell of fresh rain…. Takes me back!
And with fresh, green & gorgeous surroundings, comes ingredients – and the chance to put together some quick and simple side dishes….. wild garlic pesto (as I’ve mentioned before), pickled cucumber, salsa verde – made with cavolo nero leaves and inspired by the wonderful Giffords Circus cookbook and a Thai dipping sauce with spring onions & lime….. Any or all of these sauces are great with fish, bbq meats, steamed asparagus, salad leaves…… and great to keep in the fridge for when you’re looking for that little ‘extra’ to add to supper.
It’s a great way to use up bits and pieces from the fridge – and I’m also very lucky to be surrounded by carpets of wild garlic, but rocket leaves are always a good alternative. Enjoy the fresh green flavours – as well as the rain, there’s more to come this week!
Wild Garlic Pesto
Makes 1 large jar
1 large handful of washed wild garlic leaves
1 small bunch of herbs (parsley/coriander/basil)
60g toasted pine nuts
60g grated parmesan
150ml olive oil
Juice of half a small lemon
Salt & pepper
- Whizz garlic leaves & herbs in mixer to finely chop.
- Add pinenuts, parmesan, salt & pepper and whizz again
- Pour in lemon juice and half the olive oil and whizz – check texture and keep adding oil until you are happy.
- Check seasoning and store in airtight jar. Will last for 7 days, top up with olive oil to keep green.
Makes 1 large jar
1 cucumber, cut long ways and seeds removed, and sliced into thin half mooned or ribbons
1 tsp flaky sea salt
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp white caster sugar
½ tsp bashed coriander seeds
Small handful of herbs – dill or mint are best
- Prep cucumber and put in sieve and mix with salt and leave for 15 mins.
- Squeeze the cucumber to get rid of excess water and pat try with clean tea towel
- Mix remaining ingredients in a bowl and then add cucumber and stir through.
- Keep in airtight containers – will last for 3 days
Salsa Verde with Cavolo Nero
Makes 1 medium jar
2 large cavolo Nero leaves, stripped from stalk and roughly chopped
1 small bunch of parsley/basil/coriander
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1 small tin of anchovies in olive oil
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp capers
Juice of half a lemon
- Blanch cabbage leaves in boiling salted water for 4-5 mins and the refresh in cold water and thoroughly drain.
- Add to blender with herbs, garlic, anchovies (with their oil), capers, mustard and whizz until roughly smooth.
- Add salt & pepper and lemon juice to taste – whizz again and you should have a thick, chunky paste. Add a little water to loosen
- Keep in airtight jar – will last for 3 days
Thai Dipping sauce with spring onions & lime
1 bunch of spring onions, finely chopped including green stalks
1 tbsp Fish Sauce
1 tbsp Soy Sauce
1 tbsp Mirin Sauce
2 tsp Chilli Sauce – or fresh Chillies
*Mix together finely chopped spring onions with the zest and juice of 1 lime.
* Add remaining ingredients and stir through
* Keep in ramekin/bowl covered in cling film – use as a dressing or dipping sauce with fish. Will keep for 2 days.
Please see more on my workshops page : www.cocoandroses.co.uk/workshops
What People are Saying
".... my bouquet was so beautiful and looked that you had picked every flower from your own garden. My bridesmaids loved their posies and the button holes were perfect and you could really smell the sage - as you said we would! Thank you for all your fantastic help. "
Claire, a country-style summer wedding
".... thank you so much for being in my kitchen last night and giving us such a fantastic dinner. You really allowed me to spend time with my guests and enjoy the night before my son’s wedding. All the family were so relaxed and we all particularly loved your puddings! "
Louise & John,
a pre-wedding supper
".... a quick note to say thank you for an excellent meal on Tuesday – delicious food, efficiently delivered and enjoyed by all of us. It was lovely to enjoy good food at home, rather than in a noisy pub or restaurant – and we couldn’t have danced to 1960s Italian pop songs outside the house either!”
Nicky, family dinner party
".... OMG the birthday cake you made for me was amazing. My friends and colleagues ate it all! The raspberry and passion fruit filling was delicious and the little petals and flower heads were so pretty. Please can I order 2 more for when my family come to stay next weekend?."
Jo, a decadent birthday cake